Saturday, December 13, 2008


Shit, my family is weird.

Today was my nieces' birthday celebration.
Much love, Nico and Lena!

And my dad and step-mom flew into town to join in on the festivities.

Much fun was had.
We read books, made yarn-balls (yup! I was a straight up girl gone wild with the crafts today), and played dress-up...the usual.

PAR-TAY!!!

So my pop and I are kickin' back in the big people room talking current events and family stuff when he informs me that my brother recently got married.
Wait. What?

I like to think that I am close with my family.

Sure I dodge a call here and there when I just can't take the inevitable barrage of questions...i.e. "What are you doing with your life", "What happened to the last guy you were dating", "Are you eating enough", and, oh, my fave.."Should we be concerned"?

But I keep in touch.

My brother lives in Nicaragua, so it's feasible that distance just got the better of us.

But MARRIED?

That's kind of a big announcement.

So I am assuming there is only one reason that Michael (and, Mike, if you are reading...congrats and call me immediately) neglected to tell me the news.
You are worried I won't approve.

Pisshah!

I learned for the first time today that you are fluent in Spanish.
How did I not know that?
Color me impressed.

Then I learned you were married.
Color me confused.

I love you bro.
Reach out and touch someone.

So, after having my mind completely fucked, My mom and I take our leave.

I couldn't shut up about Michael and his new bride.

My mom looks at me and asks, "Are you feeling the pressure"?

I had to take a moment before I realized, excommunicated though they may be, my parents are, for all intents and purposes, still stalwart Catholics.

And I am their spinster daughter.

Thanks Michael and Mehera.
For making me look bad since 1977.

Posted by Posted by penny earned at 7:12 PM
Categories:

 

2 comments:

mehera said...

It is possible you are wisest for NOT being married!

But I'm sorry if I make you feel bad.

You should link to Micheal's site. He is doing the coolest stuff. I really admire him. I told him in a card, but he did not respond.

Anonymous said...

your family IS strange...but they made you, YOU, which makes them wonderful!