Thursday, July 31, 2008


About a year ago I got totally turned on to a band called The Knife. They just rock and rule.
Well, not rock so much as play keytars and dress funny. In the best possible way.

And I have done my best to promote their music by putting it on as many mix-tapes for as many friends as possible. I have probably also offended countless

noise violation laws by pumping Deep Cuts as loudly as science would allow via my overworked car speakers (forgive me, Honda God, I have sinned. It's been thirty minutes since my last radio transmission).

Still, The Knife seem to exist in relative obscurity in the states, for shame.
So imagine my positive delight when I heard them played out at a local venue last night.
I was hanging at a half-empty (and yes that is a loaded expression) bar while a couple of guys were playing some music. It wasn't offensive. It just didn't make me want to get my groove on...and I'm pretty much always in the mood to move.

Then like a phoenix rising from the flames of boredom I hear The Knife.

Hercules couldn't have held me back from the dance floor.

It was a beautiful thing.

Sadly, the dance floor was so barren when this song came on that I had to rally a few of my peeps to join me for some funkin'. Irony of ironies, the whole event ended up being completely reminiscent of one of my favorite Knife videos.

I didn't even know these cinematographic gems existed until I recently went about rearranging my music. I opened up the secret back door of a Knife c.d. and found their collection of videos for Deep Cuts.

I gotta' say the video for Pass This On so beautifully portrays the phenomenon of cultivating a group of body-mover's that Frank Capra is turning over in his grave for lack of vision.

witness the majesty here...

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1dvom_the-knife-pass-this-on_music


Posted by Posted by penny earned at 4:08 PM
Categories:

 

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

"sorry, Honda God, I have sinned. It's been thirty minutes since my last radio transmission'

this is one of the coolest thing i ever read!!!!